Thursday, February 20, 2014

#millenialproblems

I WOULD LIKE TO ADDRESS MY GROWING HATRED FOR SOCIAL MEDIA RIGHT NOW.

I hate Facebook. I hate Twitter. I hate scrolling through some person I barely know's idiotic life updates. I hate seeing carefully curated posts that make me feel inadequate/ unworthy/ left out/ and boring. I hate believing everything I see. I hate subconsciously comparing myself to a distorted reality. I hate wanting to use these mediums to also carefully curate my own life. I hate that I'm being an annoying ass hypocrite by writing this post.

NOW I SHALL ADDRESS WHY I AM ADDRESSING MY GROWING HATRED FOR SOCIAL MEDIA ON A SOCIAL MEDIA OUTLET.

I love that I can always be connected to people (the ones I love mostly but even the ones I barely know) in an instant and at any moment. I love that I can pick and choose how other people see me. I love that I can think before I speak (or type, rather). I love that dang "edit" button. I love that I can learn new things through the people I'm connected to. I love the efficiency of working remotely with others. I love the way news spreads like wildfire through social media and that, consequently, mobilizing people for causes I love has never been easier!

--
BUT when did social media become so normalized that we're literally incapable of spending a day without our phones and that fluffy cushion of knowing that you can be potentially connected to whoever you'd like at (literally) a touch of a button? We're a plagued generation. A generation of druggies that can't kick their habit. Despite our desire to disconnect, we're stuck knowing that disconnecting would essentially mean being cast out as a social pariah in this day and age. "What about my career?" "What about my future?" "I've got to stay current!" I feel like I'm being blackmailed LOL. Even the "hipsters" who are "so above that", PLEASE, I doubt they use their damn carrier pigeons to receive all communication from friends and loved ones. I doubt that they only maintain contact with friends with direct conversations. Unless you're fucking Amish, I doubt you are completely unhooked from social media. And if you currently are (unhooked from media I mean.. not Amish) (which I also doubt, because, well, this is a form of social media)-- I would very much like to see how long you can last.

And what's the MOST frustrating is how self-aware we all are. Like we all know social media is the devil. We all know it's annoying as eff to be that person who's always checking their Facebook to see how many notifications they have. We all know we don't want to be these kind of junkies. Buuuuuut, we still are.

We are a generation of cowards that are afraid to show our true selves. We are a generation of people that hide behind well-lit screens. We are a generation that is aware of our issues. We are a generation that doesn't change. Because we are a generation that doesn't know what to do.

--
EDIT: I just read over this angry rant (which, by the way, is mostly a fruit of frustration directed to myself) and realized that I just rant and rant and offer no solutions. Sorry.. if I knew I probably wouldn't be posting on my blog.

No comments: